Schedule of License Fees
After the license is granted, the Company would be required to pay license fee for an initial term of five years in the first instance, subject to renewal. The license fee for an initial term of five years is as follows:
- CATEGORY A: Any location in the FCT, Lagos and Port Harcourt: Radio - N20million, Terrestrial TV - N15million, Cable - N10million.
- CATEGORY B: Any location in all other states: Radio - N15million, Terrestrial TV - N11.25million, Cable - N7.5million
- Public/Government Stations: N5million for 5 years or N1million per Television or Radio Channel per annum for 5 years
- Renewal fee for Cable – Satellite Television (MMDS):
- Category A: FCT, LAGOS and PORT HARCOURT = N5Million for Five years
- CATEGORY B: Any location in all other states: N4million for 5 years
- Direct Broadcast Satellite: (Single Channel): New and Renewal: N10million for 5 years.
- Direct-to-Home (DTH) (Multichannel) New: N25million for 5 years Renewal: N50million for 5 years (with effect from May 19, 2005).
- Dealer (Wholesaler): N120,000.00 per annum
- Importer (Wholesaler): N120,000.00 per annum
- Retailer N30,000.00 per annum
- Others: % of income: 2½ of income Application form: N50,000.00 per set In considering an application for a broadcast license under the NBC Act, the Commission must certify that the applicant: Is a body corporate registered under the Companies and Allied matters Act or a station owned, established or operated by the Federal, State or Local Government Can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Commission that he is not applying on behalf of any foreign interest Can comply with the objectives of the National Mass Communication Policy as is applicable to the electronic media, that is radio and television Can give an understanding that the licensed station shall be used to promote National interest, unity and cohesion and that it shall not be used to offend the religious sensibilities or promote ethnicity, sectionalism, hatred and disaffection among the people. LOCAL PROGRAMME CONTENT
Every licensee is required to adhere to a minimum of 60% local broadcast content for open television and 80% local broadcast content for radio. The cable/satellite retransmission stations are mandated to reflect a minimum of 20% local content in their programming.